Friday, December 24, 2010

Sometimes you just gotta let it go.

         I have been working on my latest book for a while now and though it has been making good progress it has been tough because no matter how far I get it just seemed that there was no end in sight. There is still so much story line to go but the pages are mounting along with my nerves, and then it came to me. I am not going to be able to put all this story into one book, there is just to much, its too overwhelming, but if I put it in a series of books, 2-3 where I can space everything out so that it is not so overwhelming then I can give more attention to each different plot line and everything would be better.
     And so, that decided, I have begun again with much renewed enthusiasm and excitment that I can see the end of book one in sight and am working on the story line for book two. I guess all along I just needed to let go of the idea that all these details had to fit into one neat package and just let the writing cary itself where it wants to go.
     Sometimes as a writer it is hard to remember that. After all it is art of sorts, it may not be what you intended to create when you set out but then after you finish you stand back and look at it. Eventhough it wasnt what you envisioned, it is still a beautiful thing.
     After all the stress and worrying about how I was going to get everything in there, I can now look and see my book for what it is. Beautiful...

1 comment:

  1. I SOOO relate! Except I had the opposite problem. I thought I was writing a sequel to my novel Ockham's Razor. After some 100 pages I discovered that what I was actually doing was writing the ending to the first book. I had to go back and create a Second Edition with the new ending (one I like a lot better). The writing truly does take us where IT wants to go...we just have to let it.

    ReplyDelete